Thursday, August 28, 2014

Friends in the Garden

HOME

My little mates called by again yesterday so I grabbed the camera and said g'day.

This juvenile King Parrot is still colouring up but he's well on the way to the magnificent colour of his father (who was nearby in a different tree). He was quite nervous and didn't hang around long but I'm sure he will be back today some time.


Nikon D800 Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR with 2x tele convertor. Focal length 400mm 1/250s @ f/5.6 ISO140


A few minutes later a White-headed Pigeon arrived. He looked around nervously and stayed for about 20 seconds before he too headed off. Strange. The birds usually hang around a while longer before moving on as they do their rounds. He was back lit as I had no time to re-position but by using spot metering the exposure wasn't to bad.

Nikon D800 Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR with 2x tele convertor. Focal length 400mm 1/250s @ f/5.6 ISO125


It all became clear when I heard that distinctive sound of the Pacific Bazza just behind me. There he was sitting in the top of a tree being hassled by Noisy Miners. The Noisy Miners have chicks nearby so its easy to understand why the Pacific Bazza was around. I'm hoping he'll be back again today and chooses a better perch :-)



Nikon D800 Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR with 2x tele convertor. Focal length 400mm 1/640s @ f/5.6 ISO320

Don't forget that Michael and I are presenting our Bird Photography workshop at O'Reillys Rainforest Retreat in Lamington National Park on Saturday 20th September. I can't promise a Pacific Bazza but you'll definitely see King Parrots and more than likely a White-headed Pigeon or two as well. Come along and find out to photograph these beauties and more. Check out the details -> here.

No comments:

Post a Comment