Thursday, August 21, 2014

Observe your Wildlife for better images

HOME

Wildlife photography can be quite challenging at times.

Birds are one of my favourites subjects and photographing the babies is another wildlife challenge that, when you achieve some success, is extremely rewarding. But, how do you find these well hidden photographic treasures.

The easiest way is to observe their parents. A bird that catches a tasty treat and then darts off without eating it is probably heading off to feed its chicks.

One such example was from a trip to a nearby lake. I was photographing some ducks in flight when, right in front of me, a Purple Swamphen wandered past with a mouthful of bugs. I didn't need too much encouragement to follow along at a discreet distance so as not to spook the bird and see what it was up to.



I was rewarded with the sight of a couple of chicks scurrying out of a very messy nest for a feed. I ended up a little muddy as to get a good angle through all the reeds I needed to be lying flat, but I got the shot. Very rewarding indeed.

Isn't it a little cutie?

For the technically inclined:

Nikon D800 Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 VR -  1/2000s @ f/2.8 ISO1000 - hand-held supported by elbows in mud :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment